Wig Care FAQs
How to Wash and Store Wigs
Though they’ve been around for millennia, wigs have become quite popular lately due to the benefits that they offer. These days, you can buy beautiful, comfortable and realistic wigs at many different price points. Whether you wear a wig because of temporary or permanent hair loss or just for the fun and fashion of it, a gorgeous wig can boost your confidence and help you look your best.
Wigs can also offer a lot of convenience since they don’t require as much maintenance as your real hair and are usually already styled. Just grab your wig from its stand in the morning and you’re good to go!
But the right care and maintenance are crucial for getting the most out of your hairpieces. Here are some of our favorite wig care tips for both human and synthetic hair wigs:
How Do You Wash a Synthetic Wig?
You should wash your synthetic wig about every 8-10 wears or every 2-3 weeks depending on the number of hours worn. However, if you often apply styling products to your wig, you should wash it more often. You may also need to wash your wig more often if you wear it while exercising.
You will need the following items when washing your wig:
- A wig brush
- A wig head or stand
- Clean towels
- Wig shampoo
- Wig conditioner
After collecting all these items, wash your wig using this procedure:
- Be sure to always detangle your wig before washing. Never brush or comb a wig while wet. Combing a wet wig may cause the synthetic hair fibers to stretch out and weaken.
- Take a basin or a bucket and add your wig shampoo and cold water to it.
- Soak your wig in the water containing the shampoo for approximately five minutes. If the wig is too soiled, soak it for a longer period.
- After the five minutes are over, gently clean the wig by dipping it up and down in your water. You can use a small soft brush to gently remove any stains on the wig cap.
- After ensuring that the wig is clean, rinse it in cool water.
- Condition the wig to restore your wig's original style pattern, and then rinse it again in cool water. You should never comb your wig when it is wet.
- Using a towel, gently pat excess water out of your wig and then hang it on your wig stand and let it dry.
What’s the Best Way to Store Wigs?
You should store your wig in a cool and dry place. You can keep it on a wig head, wig stand, or in a satin or silk bag. Storing it on a wig head or wig stand will help it maintain its style and shape, while storing it in a satin or silk bag will help the wig retain moisture. If you do not have a wig stand, a satin, or silk bag, you can store your wig in a shoebox so that it won’t collect dust.
How to Prepare a Wig for Storage
Before you store your wig, you should cleanse and condition it. After cleaning it, you should dry it completely to avoid mold or mildew growth.
How to Wash a Human Hair Wig
Follow this procedure when washing your human hair wig:
- Using a soft paddle brush, detangle the wig hair.
- Wash your wig with shampoo, avoid rubbing it to prevent the hair from tangling, which could damage your hair. Instead, when washing it lather a small amount of soap in your hands and gently work the shampoo through the strands and base until thoroughly saturated, always keeping the hair going the same direction.
- Rinse to remove the soap: rinse your hair with cool water, always running the water in the direction of the hair (from top to bottom) until the shampoo is completely removed.
- Condition your hair: Repeat the same process with the conditioner except remember to avoid the roots of the hair as over conditioning can cause the knots to loosen over time.
- Allow the wig to air dry or blow dry on a low temperature setting.
Whether you own a synthetic or human hair wig, it will last longer and look its best if you take good care of it. Like natural hair, it needs to be cleaned and conditioned regularly. Proper wig storage can also go a long way in protecting your investment.
If you need wig accessories or wig care products, H&H Boutique has you covered! We have everything you need to care for your wigs and keep them looking like new.